Top

Weighing Eichel's Options

Jack Eichel has to decide College or NHL this summer Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports
Jack Eichel has to decide College or NHL this summer
Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports

The lottery results are in and the Sabres lost.  What a surprise.  But listen Sabres fans, we knew the odds were still against us even if we come in last.  You have a 20% chance of winning.  80% chance of losing.  It is simple math and it is what it is.  Edmonton will get McDavid, Buffalo will get Eichel and it'll be fine.  Yes we were first and yes we have lost twice in a row missing out on Ekblad and McDavid, but it is time to move on with guys like Reinhart and Eichel.  Also, Jack Eichel WANTS to play for Buffalo.  McDavid seemed like he did too, but Eichel seems to really want to play here and that is what I want to see, a guy committed to Buffalo for the long haul.  

Jack Eichel is 18 years old, he can be a rising sophomore at Boston University if he chooses to go that route.  This in Sabres fans' minds is the worst thing that could happen.  Another long year of suffering will be ahead and everything will be terrible.  I am not in this mindset.  My first reason why is that Jack Eichel probably will not want to go back to school is because of one of the most major factors in the world...Money.  If Eichel goes back, his entry level contract doesn't start and he will have to wait an extra year to cash in on a better contract.  

Reason number two is pride.  This reason could be taken in two ways.  The bad way would be Eichel's pride in BU and the bitter taste of losing a national championship.  However, I think Eichel's pride will lean more towards playing for Buffalo.  The NHL Dream is real and when it is set right in front of you, it will be difficult to say no.  Also, a team believes that you are their savior.  The pride and will to prove everyone right will probably be enough to put Eichel in a Sabres uniform next season.

If Eichel does go back to school it is not the end of the world.  It is just another reason to admire the guy that we will have gotten with the 2nd Overall Pick.  He doesn't want to give up on something before the job is done.  He would go back to win a National Championship.  Jonathan Toews went back to North Dakota for his sophomore season.  If Eichel can become as good as Jonathan Toews, I will be a happy Sabres fan.  It is Eichel's decision and we as fans should support him in whatever he decides.  He will be the face of the franchise for years to come.  I can't wait, but I will if I have too.  I've waited for the two marshmellows for this long, I can wait for another year if I have to.

Follow me on Twitter: @JHansgen57 For all Sabres and NHL News, Updates and Analysis

Load